Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What time does City Walk BHAM open and close?
A: City Walk BHAM is open 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. daily. It is monitored 24/7 by a CCTV security system and security patrols that circulate through City Walk.

Q: Do parts of City Walk have different hours of operation?
A: Yes, different sections of City Walk do have their own operating hours. City Walk with the exception of specific programmed areas is open from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.

  • The playground at Lake Park (between 24th and 25th street) is open from 7 am until 7 pm, and that closing hour will change based on the season of the year and the time it gets dark.
  • As a result of being privately managed, the skate park at City Walk is open Monday – Friday from noon until 10:00 pm. Saturday and Sunday the skate park is open from 9 am until 10 pm.
  • The Barkery Dog Park at City Walk opens on September 15th, 2022. The Barkery is a membership-based off-leash dog park. Hours are Monday – Thursday 2pm to 8pm and Saturday & Sunday 7am – 8pm.
  • Pickleball Courts may be used from 7 am to 10 pm for the courts on the east end of City Walk. The courts on the west end of City Walk are open from 7 am – 10 pm.

Q: Is there an entrance fee for City Walk?
A: There is not an entrance fee to come out and enjoy City Walk BHAM. It is absolutely free for individual use! Programmed or group use of City Walk BHAM requires a reservation and a permit. See below for more information on reservations and permitting.

Q: What areas are available for parking?
A: Parking is available along the outer perimeters of the City Walk BHAM along 9th avenue north and several cross streets. Parking is timed and utilizes Park Mobile for parking payments like much of downtown Birmingham. Please be informed that TIME METERED PARKING IS FREE AFTER 6 PM AND ON WEEKENDS. FREE PARKING WILL VARY BASED ON EVENTS IN AND AROUND THE BJCC.

Q: Can I bring my own food or alcohol to the City Walk?
A: Unless otherwise designated for specific events, anyone is welcome to bring food into City Walk BHAM. No glass and no outside alcohol are allowed in City Walk at any time. Alcoholic beverages are allowed in designated areas only when purchased from the designated City Walk vendor.

Q: How long is the walking path through City Walk?
A: The seam path (noted by the colored concrete) is approximately one (1) mile end-to-end. A full circuit of the seam path equals approximately two (2) miles.

Q: Are there specific areas for bikers, skateboarders, roller skaters, runners and walkers?
A: City Walk BHAM requests that bikers, skateboarders, and roller skaters do not ride or skate in the plaza block located between 19th street and 21st street, around the pickleball courts, dog park, or playground areas. Skateboarders, bikes, inline, and quad skaters are welcome at the skate park located at 9th avenue and 17th street. Skateboarders are encouraged to refrain from using the roller rink when roller skating is taking place, as skateboarding and roller skating in the roller rink are largely incompatible.

Walkers are encouraged to walk along the seam path that was created as a part of City Walk. The seam path is denoted by colored concrete which stretches from 15th street to 25th street, the entire East to West length of City Walk. Walkers are also encouraged to use the sidewalks throughout City Walk.

Q: How does the skate park at City Walk BHAM operate?
A: The skate park at City Walk ( is operated by Action Park Alliance. Park hours are Monday – Friday from noon until 10 pm. Saturday and Sunday park hours are 9 am to 10 pm. An electronic waiver process is required to skate at the park and is available on the park’s website.

Q: How does the dog park at City Walk BHAM operate?
A: The Barkery dog park at City Walk BHAM has been designed to be a destination off-leash dog park. The park will operate on a membership model. Dogs must be spayed or neutered. Dogs must be current (up-to-date) on vaccinations including Rabies, DHPP/DHLPPC, and Bordetella. Dog parents must provide documentation to City Walk Bham in order to be granted a one-time pass or City Walk Bham membership. Equipment to finalize the outfitting of the dog park is expected to arrive in August and we anticipate having The Barkery open to the community at the beginning of September 2022.

Q: How do the Pickle Ball courts at City Walk BHAM operate?
A: The Pickleball courts at City Walk are operated in an “Open Play” format. Rules are placed at the courts as well as available here. There are eight courts on the east end of City Walk and two courts on the west end of City Walk. Please note special events, lessons, or other activities scheduled by City Walk BHAM take priority over open play.

Q: What are the City Walk’s rules and regulations regarding pictures and videos?
A: Photography and video should not interfere with the quiet enjoyment of City Walk by other patrons. To reserve space for a photography or video shoot, interested parties should rent space by filling out an Events Request Form.

Q: May I have a birthday, family reunion, or any other kind of event in City Walk without reserving space?
A: Guests of City Walk are welcome to host birthday parties, family reunions or any other type of event in City Walk. The best way to ensure that you will have the space you want and a wonderful experience is to reserve space. Click here for more information on how to reserve space. Those not reserving space are subject to certain limitations, which include but are not limited to the following:

  1. City Walk guests are not allowed to bring in any catered food without reserving space through the City Walk offices.
  2. City Walk guests not reserving space are not allowed to move tables and chairs located in any part of City Walk to accommodate their guests. The continuous movement of the tables and chairs damages the property. Help us preserve the long life of our chairs and tables so everyone can enjoy!
  3. If City Walk is preparing for an event or is hosting a reservation or any other City Walk related activity, guests may be asked to move to another section of City Walk.
  4. Guests are not allowed to utilize City Walk’s electrical outlets for personal use. This includes but is not limited to the charging of cell phones, laptops, radios, etc.
  5. Guests are not allowed to bring in tables, heavy chairs or any furniture that may harm the grass or other plant life.
  6. We appreciate your help in keeping City Walk BHAM clean! Please bring garbage bags with you to dispose of any trash that may be accumulated during your visit. Please leave any waste-filled bag(s) beside a garbage can within the City Walk BHAM footprint.

Q: Can school tour groups visit City Walk without reserving space?
A: City Walk BHAM welcomes school tour groups. However, groups are strongly encouraged to contact City Walk BHAM’s Special Events Coordinator prior to the group’s scheduled visit. Tour groups are asked to drop guests off at the 19th Street entrance of City Walk BHAM and encouraged to enjoy lunch in the Central Plaza area. Restrooms are located in the Central Plaza area between 19th street and 22nd street near the City Walk Visitor’s Center. Click here for a map of City Walk BHAM.

City Walk guests are welcome to bring in food to enjoy such as snack lunches, pizza, platters from a grocery store, etc., but catered food must be provided by an approved caterer of City Walk BHAM. Click here for a list of approved caterers. No grilling/cooking is allowed in City Walk BHAM.

If your school tour group is interested in a guided tour by one of the members of the City Walk BHAM staff, please contact City Walk BHAM’s Special Events Coordinator by emailing The cost of a guided tour of City Walk BHAM is $100.00.

Q: May I set up a small portable tent/table in City Walk BHAM?
A: In order to ensure good care of City Walk BHAM’s landscaping, tents and tables are prohibited in City Walk BHAM unless they have been ordered through one of City Walk BHAM’s approved vendors. The first step in this process is to reserve space in City Walk BHAM: Click here for more information.

Q: Are large inflatables allowed in City Walk BHAM?
A: Large inflatables such as moon bounces are allowed in City Walk BHAM when adequate space is reserved in City Walk BHAM to accommodate the equipment. They are permitted when you reserve an entire section of one of City Walk’s plaza areas. Some areas are not conducive to moon bounces or any other inflatable carnival attraction.

Q: May I barbeque at City Walk BHAM?
A: Due to safety and liability issues and being underneath the interstate bridges, grilling is not allowed in City Walk BHAM.

Q: Are fireworks allowed in City Walk BHAM?
A: Due to local ordinances as well as proximity to the interstate, fireworks are not allowed in City Walk BHAM.

Q: How do I become an approved caterer or vendor for City Walk BHAM?
A: If you would like to become one of City Walk’s approved caterers or vendors please contact City Walk BHAM’s Events Coordinator. City Walk’s approved list is currently closed, but your information will be kept on file for later use. Each approved caterer or vendor must show verification of all licenses and permits needed to operate within the City of Birmingham and Jefferson County.

Q: May I sell items in City Walk BHAM without being an approved vendor or caterer for City Walk BHAM?
A: City Walk BHAM does not allow outside vendors or caterers to sell items within the confines of City Walk BHAM. If you are interested in becoming an approved vendor or caterer please reference the above question.

Q: May I solicit donations in City Walk BHAM?
A: City Walk BHAM does not allow individuals or groups to solicit donations in City Walk BHAM. If you, your organization or company would like to hold a fundraiser in City Walk BHAM, you or your group or company will be required to reserve space. If your fundraiser involves food preparation or the donation of food or beverages either for consumption or to sell to City Walk patrons, you, your organization or company may be subject to special rules and stipulations due to prior contract obligations with approved caterers.

Q: How do I become a City Walk BHAM Volunteer?
A: If you are interested in becoming a volunteer for City Walk, please fill out the volunteer application. Within 3 business days you will be contacted by one of City Walk BHAM’s volunteer coordinators. Each interested individual will be required to attend an orientation session to learn more about City Walk BHAM, its rules and regulations and the expectations of a City Walk volunteer. A volunteer coordinator will interview each interested individual.

City Walk reserves the right to select all volunteers. City Walk BHAM prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status, or any other illegal basis. All data will be used to maintain official records of volunteers of City Walk, and furnishing this data is voluntary.

Q: How can I find out about various upcoming events in City Walk BHAM?
A: To find out about upcoming events and activities happening in City Walk BHAM, please visit City Walk BHAM’s Calendar of Events. Please visit our Facebook or Instagram accounts for additional information.

Q: How do I find different areas of City Walk BHAM?
A: Click here for a map of City Walk BHAM.

Q: Can I use sidewalk chalk at City Walk BHAM?
A: We discourage the use of sidewalk chalk at City Walk because it is added clean-up for our hard-working janitorial crew. We encourage you to throw a Frisbee, fly a kite or play!

Q: May I bring my pet to City Walk?
A: Dogs are welcome in City Walk BHAM, as long as they are on a leash and have an owner who cleans up after them! Other pets are best left at home.

Q: Where is City Walk BHAM located?
A: City Walk BHAM is located along 9th avenue north between 15th street and 25th street. It is located underneath the I 59/20 interstate bridges through the central business district of Birmingham near the BJCC.